Learn how to choose a good rum for cocktails or to pour neat
You’re planning a cocktail and rum tasting session with friends but still don’t know which rum you should choose? Learn how to choose a good rum and you will have the solution to your dilemma!
First of all, let’s summarize the different types of rum that exist:
– Agricultural rum: produced mainly in regions of French influence, this rum is made from sugar cane juice.
– Traditional rum: produced mainly in regions of English or Spanish influence, it is composed of thick sugar syrup called “molasses”.
– White rum: this is a young rum to drink dry or in cocktails.
– Amber rum: it is a rum aged in oak barrels for a year to a year and a half, hence its color.
– Old rum: aged for at least three years, this rum is ideal for tasting.
To choose your rum properly, you will need to ask yourself a few questions beforehand to determine your friend’s or relatives’ preferences. For example, you may wonder if they prefer to consume rum in the form of:
– Macerated rum (rhum arrangé);
Also, you should ask yourself if this person appreciates beautiful brands, if they like discovering new flavors, or if they like rare products. Based on these facts, you can easily determine which rum will make up for your cocktail and tasting session.
Do not drink and drive. Enjoy responsibly.