Packaging design: a recyclable, reusable and refillable bottle
The Barrier Bottle is an insulated, recyclable, reusable, refillable and low-cost bottle created by David Fussell. Discover the eco-friendly bottle here. Via Packaging Digest.
Inventor of more than 30 patents, David Fussell chairs VenturSource consulting. Fussell is convinced that the Barrier Bottle is a winning object. He told Packaging Digest, “I have been working with new products for a long time and have never been so involved with a product of such potential.”
Here are nine features of the Barrier Bottle
1. Fussell invented the concept on a train where his partners RP Agarwal and Dr. Anup Gupta, are teachers in India. They both observed train journeys made by farmers, where there are high temperatures and no air conditioning, and no access to cold water. And even if you chill a bottle the night before, it will heat up quickly. Here they thought of the concept of creating an affordable bottle with the principle of the thermos concept.
2. The name Barrier Bottle concerns the structure of the bottle. The concept is similar to a thermos, recreated in a plastic bottle inside another plastic bottle. According to Fussell, the space between the two surfaces allows the use of specific gas mixtures to fill the barrier and keep the content at an optimal temperature for a longer period of time to prolong the life of the layer.
3. The bottle can be kept cold for 4 hours and more. A professional engineering company validated test results of the bottle.
4. BB serves for both single use and reuse. According to Fusell, thanks to its thick walls it is an ideal reusable container. Especially in countries where they ban the use of single bottles.
5. Fussell sets the cost at approximately $0.035 using PET, which could vary depending on the cost of energy in the manufacturer’s country.
“We made about 40 prototypes of which some were created in my garage“, David Fussell
6. The bottle is suitable for any FDA-approved thermoplastic.
7. Barrier Bottle weighs about 0.20 grams more than a standard 0.5L PET bottle with 0.20mm walls. The bottle floats easily in water, with or without cap. This means that if the bottle ends up in a marine environment, it will not sink, which makes environmental cleaning easier and less expensive, says Fussell.
9. Finally, Fussell is in licensing discussions with several beverage companies in India. “I am looking to license the concept to bottlers around the world,” he says, “and I am considering partnering with packaging experts who can contribute to the ease of product development in the industry“.
Learn More about Barrier Bottle: https://ventursource.com/about.html / https://www.barrier-bottle.com/
Don’t drink and drive. Enjoy responsibly.
Stay tuned and discover all the news in the Spirits World for professionals and amateurs, by our Spirits Hunters’ experts.See all posts in this category.
Join the community on Reddit
Spirits Hunters is a community dedicated to spirits and the world of mixology. Feel free to talk about the world of mixology and bartending here!Join