Survey: an update with French spirits consumers
As part of Whisky Live Paris, the largest whisky and spirits tasting event in Europe, Ipsos and Whisky Live Paris are taking stock of French spirits consumers.
What changes have occurred in their behavior? What influence has the health crisis had on their consumption? How do they perceive emerging categories? This 3rd edition of the Whisky Live Paris 2021 Spirits Barometer: the French between loyalty and thirst for novelty reveals that while respondents’ consumption has remained unchanged in volume despite the crisis, it has changed in their purchasing habits and in their sensitivities, particularly environmental.
– Since the beginning of the health crisis, the level of consumption of spirits has remained unchanged for the majority of French respondents (68%)
– Younger consumers (30-40 years old) are more interested in emerging beverage categories, such as Hard Seltzer (33% are aware of this drink, +12 points) and show stronger purchase intentions for alcoholic cocktails (37% versus 19%)
– The interest in buying in specialized stores (such as wine shops) divides opinions: 40% believe they are more sensitive to this specialized channel since the beginning of the crisis, while 37% consider it less important
– The use of the internet is becoming more and more common, especially among the youngest: whether it is for buying spirits, searching for information or sharing experiences. 34% use the internet to find information, compared to 26% of 41-60 year olds
– The place of production is one of the most decisive criteria in the choice of a bottle for the French (69%), with an even stronger sensitivity for the oldest (75% of the 50-60 years old).
– Tequila is increasingly consumed: 20% of spirits consumers bought it last year, 6 points more than in 2019!
Whisky Live Paris returns in September at the Halle de la Villette for its seventeenth edition. Throughout Whisky Live, the dynamism and creativity of the spirits industry is highlighted in three days of discoveries, tastings, creations and much more, in an event that brings together the world’s leading distilleries.
Don’t drink and drive. Enjoy responsibly.
Join the community on Reddit
Spirits Hunters is a community dedicated to spirits and the world of mixology. Feel free to talk about the world of mixology and bartending here!Join